Saturday, February 26, 2011

Grecian ball dress

I made this ball dress in 2004, for a conference function we were attending in the Louvre in Paris, where I couldn't look underdressed. It was an important event in our calendar and I needed to dress to impress.  Thankfully I think I looked suitably presentable.  I remember being super happy with my dress and the very glamorous Parisian evening.  The dress is still in my wardrobe, so I must still feel good about it!
Since then I have worn this dress to three other balls and about three or four other things, so it is my most worn formal dress.  At the time of its construction, Grecian goddess-y looks were quite fashionable so I was inspired by that trend.  But as it turns out this is quite a classical design that I really do love, so I'm sure I will wear it again in the future too.  On one occasion I made an appropriately styled headpiece and handtorch from cardboard, aluminium foil and gold cellophane and went to a costume ball as the Statue of Liberty, and had my picture snapped for the newspaper as a result.  My picture in the paper is not a common occurrence!  At the mo' I can't find a picture of that outfit, but if I do I'll put it up here...
I made it using Vogue 2480, out of silk satin in two shades, that has additionally a (synthetic?) thread running through it to make it subtly sparkly.  The two colours are oyster white for the underdress, and a coolly subdued sage green for the top part of the dress.  I love the draped design at the left hip, as well the long skirt has a beautifully shaped little train at the back that I think is very flattering.  The only slightly strange thing about the pattern is that as the draping is all on the left side of the dress, the invisible zip closure is on the right side.
So, obviously this is not a daily outfit post, but I had my hair done the other day and I'm not one to let a good hair day go to waste.  I haven't shown this dress here yet, and I decided the day of a professional 'do is a good day to do this dress justice.  Plus I'm anticipating Me-Made-March '11 coming up and a daily outfit post for a whole month... (oh dear) and I don't want to risk boredom by OD-ing on the daily outfit post thing.  You'll get enough of that soon enough.  I'm just worried that if the weather doesn't co-operate (by that I mean cool down just a tad) I will definitely be the most boring participant in this challenge because the same few little sundresses are just going to appear day after day.  I would really like to avoid that scenario.  Let's face it, the same outfit over and over is... totally not exciting.  


Details:
Dress; Vogue 2480, oyster white and sage green silk satin
Shoes, Nina, from David Jones

22 comments:

  1. Your dress has such nice drape and is so elegant on you. The color is beautiful. I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that would be perfect for a Statue of Liberty ensemble. It's a beautiful dress and I especially like the kayak in the background. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress is lovely. I think a pair of fabulous gloves would be just the thing, don't you? (in the oyster colour , don't you think?) Here's hoping your weather cools down, and ours warms up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. simply stunning...I love the shimmer of the silver and the drape is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dress Is gorgeous on you & I really like the way it drapes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really lovely! What a beautiful piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The draping at the back is just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stuning and classic dress.
    Your post give me some idea: why not made one in lessdressy fabric for hotsummer days walking in Paris ?!
    It had been a perfect dress for Le Louvre, no doubt: classic and timeless elegance, like the building. And not over or under dressed : just perefct.
    I like the kayak in the background too: funny. In less dressy fabric it can be a dress for a picnic, not the easiest picnic dress but why not... Don't you think so ? And I am not kiding at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! I love the drape.

    And thanks for being my mini-Australianese dictionary! I definitely wondered how "whinge" was pronounced, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooooh, I love it! Very glamourous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is simply stunning. I very seldom have occasion to attend events wearing gowns like this...or to be more accurate, I have the option not to attend because I lack the appropriate garment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elegant to a tee! It's great to get such a good wear out of formal garments - I'd love to see the liberty photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Total elegance, Carolyn, and that sage green satin looks like a perfect match against your hair color. It must have been fun getting a chance to sew something so glamorous knowing that you actually had some place to wear it to. The Louvre? Sounds like the stuff dreams are made of. Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty and such a nice design detail with the drape around the waist. I love your background too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!
    I love the dress you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty hair! Fabulous dress! Gorgeous girl! I'm hoping you can find that article from the paper. So very, very cool! And (sgh), I love the Louvre AND Paris. It's such an amazing place.

    I'm still hard at work on "the wedding hat" and I'll def. post pix when it's complete. So far, I've got about 30 hours into it. I'm really hoping my cousin likes it!

    I'm going to be posting my MMMar '11 pix once a week so look for the wrap up each week! In preparation, I'm wearing my stole over a long jacket today...very 70s "Starskey and Hutch". :)

    The gloves are on the back burner for now, btw. over the weekend I realized my MMMar wardrobe hole already...pants! Eeep!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a gorgeous dress! I love that drapey Grecian style.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So pretty! I like your hair too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can see why you would feel super happy with this dress, it is gorgeous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello,
    If we talk about ball gowns women are never satisfied with the number of dresses they have, Every time they require a new gown, Here you can choose your choice Dresses at a reasonable price. I like it.
    Evening wear perth

    ReplyDelete