Monday, January 17, 2011

Gratuitous skiing shot with no element of handmade-ness

I apologise in advance for this photo.  I have no excuse for the inclusion of this picture here, which has absolutely nothing to do with sewing, knitting, nor, I fear, even looking one's best, as I surely look less than gainly or graceful when zooming down the slopes.  Well, I am still a bit proud of this one, since here is the proof.  That I can actually get myself from the top of a snowy slope to the bottom in a reasonably respectable manner.  Upright, at a respectable speed, and without breaking any extremities.  I reckon not too shabby for a committed beachcomber.
Actually, there is an unseen relevance here.  Hand-knitted socks do figure somewhere in this ensemble.
These are the slopes of Mount Bachelor, near Bend in central Oregon, USA.

11 comments:

  1. Looking good Carolyn! Not jealous at all here... ahh summer warmth. I would like you to eat a ridiculously large and heart-stopping burger for me though...
    xo MODELmumma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shot Carolyn! And good job making it down in one piece! I am very familiar with Bachelor. When I lived in Portland, we would make several trips there to snowboard during the ski season. Thanks for jogging my memory and making me homesick :) Seriously, Keep having an awesome and safe time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be proud too!!! Looks great and the total opposite of where I am right now - though you knew that already! Happy Hols!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, snow. :) Bet those handknitted socks are getting quite a workout! Stay warm! Glad you survived the jet-ski and kayak trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How are you liking the cold here in America? Personally I'd rather be back in sunny Perth but maybe that's just me. :)
    Good job on being able to ski by the way! I can snowboard but like to stay far away from skis. Too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're practically in my back yard, Carolyn! (I'm in Portland, OR). If you're moseying this direction before you take off, I'd love to meet you! Email me @ darcidoodle@gmail.com if that's something you could possibly fit into your schedule!

    BTW: You get down the mountain MUCH better than I!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I am missing you! The photo reminded me of last time I skied. It was night skiing, I was with my father on short beginners skis. I kept falling and the bindings would have to be redone several times. Took 45 minutes to descend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carolyn, hope you are having fun! I've never even tried standing on ski's so you are already doing much better than me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have an almost identical photo of myself taken on the slopes in Italy. I hardly ever let anyone see it because, like you, I feel that I look ungainly coming down the slope but it does give me a little thrill that I can do it. I understand perfectly.
    Maree, Sydney, Aus.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. Great shot. And you're in OREGON!!! I live a couple hours from there just across from Hood River, OR.

    ReplyDelete