Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Canary yellow suit-y thing

Digging into the archives...
This is a photo of a suit-y sort of a thing that I made to wear to my brother's wedding, twenty years ago...  actually I still have this outfit and it still fits like a dream although obviously I never wear it anymore.  I still have these shoes too, because they were my own wedding shoes, so obviously I'm never letting those go either..!  
I've kept this ensemble all these years because at the time I made it up so super carefully, and sorta poured my heart and soul into making it perfect.  One of the first outfits where I went to a big effort to finish the inside as nicely as I could.  Contrast this with my previous attitude; oh no one is ever going to see the inside, who cares how it looks?  Man, how I've moved on...  So this outfit was a sewing turning point for me.
It is from a quite stiff-bodied linen mix, and the pattern was a Burda pattern, which is long gone so I can't give the number, sorry.  I do recall it had no seam allowances, so back in those days...  It's probably hard to see in this photo; but the little jacket has a lovely button band at the front, the top three quarters of which has one of those extra button tab thingies underneath to hide the buttons underneath, so only the top button and the two bottom buttons are left visible and on display at the waistline.  And those little puffy sleeves folded closed with buttons.  And a waist tie at the back to nip in the waist.  And that big three-quarter length pleated skirt.  It's a very 90's look, no?   Although I've just realised now that this look is very similar to and so most probably has its roots in the new Dior look, which hearkens back from the 40's.  Which just goes to show.  Everything old is new again.

12 comments:

  1. (Sigh) ... it's good to remember the struggles in the seam is not it? We can see how our ability to multiply and how patience is blessed. Congratulations.

    (nothing I've done over 5 years rsss serves me, consider yourself a lucky woman.)

    Hugs

    Eilane - Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely photo and outfit.I had forgotten about the seam problem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that color from the early 90's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you never wear it, is this a possible refashion opportunity? That's such a fantastically happy colour!

    I love these archive photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh fun, yes, a happy color! Your sons favor your husband, no? Esp. the younger one. This is lovely! Yes, maybe not the style now, but still lovely ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So the pattern is a little dated, but it's such a nice picture of your and your brother that you don't even notice it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Princess Diana...you look so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your scrap dress. And this dress is err... very yellow! hehe. Nah, it's pretty tame for the 90's compared to some others. Must be fun though to have all these memories of your sewing and see how far you've come. (and fashion).
    Was that church St Pat's in Freo or do all church's just look the same? :)
    xo MODELmumma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankyou ladies, although I have to clarify this is a photo of me and my husband, not my brother!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Jacinta, this is St Patricks in Fremantle! Well spotted!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAHA. I guess growing up around Freo and going to St Pat's for every Italian relatives' wedding I was bound to recognise the front! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely photo and outfit.I had forgotten about the seam problem!

    ReplyDelete