Thursday, December 30, 2010

A boxy little jacket; a refashion

I'm so pleased with this latest refashion that I finished just yesterday, that I just had wear it even though it's really too hot for this time of year...
I took an old pair of too big, light cotton twill pants that my mother didn't want anymore, and made for myself this loose unstructured jacket that I am now totally in love with...
I realise it may not be everyone's cup of tea and I'm not sure Craig is very keen on it, but meh...  I really like it!
I first got the idea after seeing some of the Desigual designs, using old jeans upside down as the bodice of dresses, see below from Desigual.  I know, I know, mine doesn't look much like this, but I'm just trying to illustrate where my original inspiration for this idea came from...
This is the pair of pants as they were originally...
I cut along the inside leg seams, not the whole way down the legs but just in the crotch area, and put it upside down to be used as the bodice of my new jacket; with the cut-open old leg/crotch seam as the new neckline.  The excess leg tubes were cut off to be used later as sleeves.   I sewed the jeans legs together for my shoulder seam...
Cut away some of the side seam for an armhole edge.  This was my first armhole cut, which is why the armhole looks a bit too small; it took some trial and measuring to get that armhole length perfectly fitted to the sleeve circumference ("sleeves" being the old lower legs above I just cut off)...  In trialling something experimental like this I'm a big believer in cutting away not-enough and then having to take away a little more, rather than cutting too much to start with and then regretting it...  (Horrible sentence, but I'm sure you seamstresses know what I'm talking about there)
I used one of these armhole cutouts to cut a triangle to fit in the V of the back, and sewed it in, mimicking the double topstitching featured elsewhere on the jeans...  Oh, I did have to unpick the curve of that back centre seam some and re-sew it to be straighter before this step.... again mimicking the double topstitching for continuity.  The top of this back neck edge was finished on the inside with a short strip of bias binding for stability.  As for the back; the curved part of the front crotch seam was unpicked a little bit and resewn to be a straighter seam, and then the V of the front neckline was folded in and finished also with double topstitching.
Set in the sleeves.  The sleeve hems are just the old jeans hems and were left intact for ease of finishing.
I topstitched closed the edges of those slanted front pockets, and removed the back pockets (now upside down) from the back of the jeans and repositioned them right way up onto the front of the new jacket.  See, the waistband of the jeans is still the waistband of the new jacket, and that fly can still be unbuttoned and unzipped for ease of taking on and off; just that it's upside down now...
Et voila!


Details:
Jacket; my own design, refashioned from an old pair of light cotton twill pants
Skirt; my own design, based on the shape of Vogue 7303, black lace and black lace strips
Tshirt; Tbox
Thongs; Mountain Designs

33 comments:

  1. OMG! That's ALL I can say! This is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute! What an interesting idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn, you're a star.
    Not only is that a lovely jacket and a great refashion, oh no. You also managed to get good inspiration from the most unlikely of places.
    Over here, we see a lot of Desigual in the streets, and I think it is terrible. Very, loud over-coloured patchwork stuff... And you managed to look well past all of that.

    By the way, I'm not surprised about the reactions of the men in your family. More often than not, men confirm the cliche of not 'getting' unfitted and/or free-form clothes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is wonderful - as you say, not everyone's cuppa tea, ie I couldn't wear it, but it is super!
    btw, I found your blog via wardrobe re-fashion, so hello.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea ! I must try as soon as possible !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this jacket... looks a bit Japanese-style to me... and so much more attractive than the Desigual clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are wonderfully clever! And I was thinking Japanese style myself. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, WOW! That is such a cool refashion!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-make-a-boxy-jacket-from-a-pair-of-khakis/2010/12/30/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love it! I'm not sure my hubby would be enthralled either though. :) Such a fun idea. I think it is very cute!!

    Hmmm, I have a boatload of old pants around here ....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just saw your jacket featured on Craft Gossip and had to jump over and say how much I love this transformation. Your photo shoot is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very clever, I found it hard to think that it was a pair of old trousers once! You could end up with many such jackets. Lovely to have you all down for Xmas and having the chance to see even more of your beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just showed Kevin. "that's so cool!" he says. :) He says, you should do one like that with my old pants. So I guess he likes it better than Craig. he he...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely BRILLIANT! That tute is incredibly helpful, too! I really enjoy the style a whole lot. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is some refashion, and very clever! I quite like it in the neutral, more subtle than standard denim. I'm going to look at all my old clothes in a new light now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! What a great refashion, very creative. I've been seeing so many great refashions lately, what a great inspiration. Especially when so many of us are looking for ways to extend our wardrobe without overextending our wallets.

    Christiana
    sewamusing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, what a clever, ingenious jacket. My husband might agree abou liking more fitted garments but he would definitely admire the terrific engineering!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it. As usual, a very very clever idea that you pulled off splendiforously.

    ReplyDelete
  18. you mentioned recreating a top from pants yeh ok but like this. I never would have thought they would end up looking so ..mm can not get the right word just neat and smart looking.Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! I love this idea! You're so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whoa.. that is really, really creative and looks fantastic! Stacy emailed me about this and I'm so glad she did. I would love to link to this in an upcoming Revamp Roundup if you didn't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, very creative and lovely, too. I like the looser look of it, especially with the skirt. I may have to try one of these at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this idea! I have some old jeans and I've been thinking about what to do with them ... maybe I should try something a bit like this ^_^ Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  23. merci...voici le mien : http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-x37CcQp4jVY/UKQbTva0coI/AAAAAAAABfU/iu0YZ4xwgys/s1600/pantalon+top.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just saw this and need to go into my closet to do the same....thanks so much for sharing your creative ideas!
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete