Tuesday, November 30, 2010

What were we wearing in the early nineties?

I am wearing here an outfit I wore to death.  I mean the outfit's death, not mine, obviously...
This photo is marked in my album "4 1/2 months", which is the age of our eldest son who I am adoring here; isn't he sweet?  Ah, the days when I measured the age of the children even down to the half month!!
I have no idea of the pattern I used... but it comprised a pair of very loose shorts with an elasticised waist, and a very oversized button up shirt with two large breast pockets.  In the very best early-nineties tradition.  I made this version in a cool light linen mix, in co-ordinating fabrics.  It was comfy and easy to wear, and being so super-sized I managed to wear it during the best part of two pregnancies as well as when not pregnant, and still looked quite fashionable, believe it or not.  Such were the days when the in-look was for HUGE clothing.  Funny times.  An elasticised waist is an anathema to me nowadays.  
I wonder what will characterise the styles of today, when we look back in ten or twenty years time?


(Oh, and if you would like to see what this cute little tike looks like now, go here)

10 comments:

  1. Such a cute baby!! A lovely happy photo. Fashions have certainly changed over the last 20 years. (cant believe its that long ago)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a fondness for my old maternity clothes--I liked their roominess and their sturdiness. I pray it isn't jeggings that come to characterize our times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the early 90's I was first a pre-teen and then a teen. Talk about a horrifying time for fashion! I was about 90 lbs soaking wet wearing a full length parka, basically seriously skinny. I was right there with you in super baggy clothes and you couldn't pay me to wear anything fitted or sleeveless at one point because I hated my skinny arms. Oh the torture of a really awkward, awkward phase :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my daughter laughs at certain outfits of mine in photos, I warn her, that her children will laugh at her outfits. Times change and so does our perception of what looks right. As sewers we now pain over a "good fit" - not an issue so many years back. So long as it hung like a tent - it fit. What will the next decade bring?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm fairly certain when I look back on photos of what I'm wearing now, I'll stroke my beard and say "Ah yes, that was where the brain imbalance got me." I'm ok with that. :)

    V.cute baby. Cluck cluck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I remember those days, and I seemed to have a lot fewer fitting issues when clothes didn't really actually fit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really resent that my most beautiful years (70s and 80s) were spent wearing the most hideous clothing. I wish I was 20 today. The clothes are so beautiful by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm. I was in fashion hiding in the early nineties: jeans, T-shirt, sweat shirt. Not overly baggy, just doing everything I could to keep my head down and get through tween-hood. Highschool (started 1994) was so much better, fashion and life-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I was graduating high school then, yes.. I remember buying only large T shirts - everything oversized... I made a very large button shirt in sewing class in high school. Now I buy clothes that fit, funny how that has changed. I'm wearing leggings today and trying to figure out how to wear them NOT like I did in my late teens / early 20's (with the aforementioned oversize tshirt, of which I have none now ... I'd have to raid Kevin's drawer...) awkward. Your baby is so yummy! Oh, I miss those sweet baby days, but I am enjoying my sleep now, lol! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was, ah, very young in the early nineties. But I remember my sisters and I looking at pictures from that time and lamenting out clothing and hair and laughing at my Mom's "get-ups". She kindly reminded us each time that she was considered very fashionable and that she wouldn't have dressed us in anything less.

    Conversely, with my pregnancies have I have enjoyed wearing form-fitting clothes that show off my "baby bump", usually knit shirts and the like. At first my mom was appalled, coming from the era she did. But after we talked about it a bit, she realized that she wasn't ashamed of her pregnancies and wishes the fashions were not so tent-like when she was pregnant with us.

    Sorry for the novel! And your son is super adorable, then and now.

    ReplyDelete