Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Inspirational Rowan

Now this is kinda exciting.  A friend was “having a bit of a cleanout" (don’t you just love it when friends get ruthless with their cupboards) and found these Rowan knitting magazines that she actually didn’t want any more (gasp, I knoooow, right?) and has super sweetly tossed them my way.  From a purely artistic perspective, the outfit styling and photography in these publications is just dreamy and utterly gorgeous.  So inspiring...
But I have a guilty confession.  The thought of knitting cardigans and jumpers... well to be honest it's just not rocking my boat.  Just at present.  I'm sort of admiring some of these knits, but my knitting mojo is stuck on socks right now.  I know some people think I'm mad.  Maybe I am.  Knitting socks is slightly mad, I do see that...
But if I want a coat/jacket/cardigan I would find some fabric and sew something ...  Is this too awful?  Perhaps I should resign my Ravelry membership in shame?  
Although the knits are not getting me all covet-y here, the dresses… ! (sigh) technically not on show here, and no credits, dammit, but I am seriously excited about these small-scale feminine prints, these colours and these romantic maidenly ensembles here.  Some copying is going to happen, I’m telling you now.
The busy floral coat at top, worn over a rough linen skirt; the floaty dress, top right; the long petticoat just above; the adorable triple row of frills at the hem of the snowy white skirt, below left...  Look at the last; the small-scale red gingham dress, worn over the floral skirt... really I think this last one is my favourite.
And I have an happy albeit embarrassing admission.  Yesterday I was moping about my desire for Vogue 1152 made up in a floaty floral, and my sad lack of said floaty floral, then the memory came a-stirring and I raced over to my fabric stash, and yes!! (air fist punch) during the Melbourne fabric buying frenzy I had actually bought some perfectly lovely floaty floral stuff from the Alannah Hill outlet.  In the post-holiday return to the busy-ness of normal life I had zoned this out, as you do.  Others can relate, I’m sure… guilty conscience?  spending spree remorse?  Me, I’m blaming impending old-age.  Happens to the best of us, so I’m told.
So moping is officially now over, and floaty floral fabulousness will be coming right up!
Top 5 photos above from Rowan knitting and crochet magazines

11 comments:

  1. That pattern book is certainly bursting with great ideas. I can see some lace outfits arising from your sewing room too. I dont see any of the 'impending old age yet' How will that make me feel - ancient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful inspiration. Thought you might want to check out this blog too...http://kayeian.typepad.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, my knitting mojo is mostly gone, too. I have only the shawl collar of my dream cardigan to finish and I don't want to pick the thing up. I'm working on a shawl my friend designed, too. But it's about 4,000 degrees in my apt so knitting is not so fun right now. So sewing is totally winning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see you in all those inspiration pictures, especially the top 2. As for the knitting - socks must be a fairly quick project - quick gratification (certainly isn't instant), as opposed to a sweater. What do I know. I never graduated beyond knitting egg cozies and scarves, and that was a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for flirty floral deliciousness! Can't wait to see the new, fun dress!

    I lose things in my stash all the time and CAN'T blame anything for it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my art blog and watching the video. I can't believe I posted that. It's so embarrassing seeing and hearing myself. I really put myself out there on that one. But I thought my readers would like to see it. It's kind of fun to hear what our favorite bloggers sound like. I may do more in the future maybe on my sewing blog. I'll let you know if I do. Hopefully I can be a little more relaxed and not talk so fast.

    We just moved out a bunch of our furniture and received a ton of furniture that belonged to my late mother-in-law. I'm trying to getting everything back in order now. I've relocated my sewing area to another part of the house. It looks much nicer. I'm having a lot of fun setting up my sewing area. Yesterday I went through all of mine and her buttons putting matches together. The kids helped. I am displaying them in clear jars. I'll post pics of everything soon.

    I look forward to seeing your new dress. I know it will be dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love it when the perfect fabric materializes from the depths of my stash, already paid for (and sometimes prewashed!) so gratifying ... Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous floaty fabric. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Carolyn, thanks for the inspiration photos. They are all so lovely. I especially like the top left photo with the cherry print dress over the linen dress. Your floaty floral fabric will be so pretty too all made up. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh the fabric. You can tell how floaty it is because you can see through the top layer. I look forward to seeing the result.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky you! I love Rowan magazines. And yes you are mad, and that just because I'm a knitter too! =)

    ReplyDelete