Monday, November 15, 2010

Navy blue blazer; 6 different ways

Oh this was so easy it felt like cheating; after all, it's not so much a matter of hunting about to find what will go with a classic navy blue blazer, because of course everything goes with this thing!  So rather than just put together random seasonal outfits I went with the idea of showcasing how a navy blue blazer fits in beautifully with so many of the "looks" that are re-introduced and re-cycled into fashion season after season.
I made my blazer using Simplicity 4698, a classic silhouette that is (I think) still in the catalogue today, using deep navy blue raw silk, and lined with matching deep blue lining.  Closure is by a single large silver button.  Being blue, rather than the usual black, I think has enhanced its usefulness.  The fashion gurus advise a black blazer as an essential wardrobe basic but in my wardrobe the blue version has substituted quite happily for and therefore been just as versatile; and furthermore a more interesting option than the expected black.  Although I am still considering making a black one too ... one of these days...sigh
So below left; for casual winter days, the (almost) all-black biker or rock chick look.  It works, and I reckon is chic-er than a black jacket would have been.  Below right; going nautical for summer?  Well then, navy blazer mandatory.  Will the nautical look ever go out of date....?!
Below left; Grunge, anyone?  Probably not a look rocked by the over 25's very often, but I think the classic tailored lines of the blazer lift the whole tone of this look up a tad and make it a very viable weekend bushwalking and picnic option for a well-dressed woman.  At right; Naturally the obvious finishing touch to a business appropriate outfit (please just pretend I am wearing flesh-toned tights, which I do not have on in this photo and which would probably be mandatory in the office with an above-knee skirt, right?)
Below left; worn with romantic lacy layers one is prissily transformed into something resembling a turn of the century school schoolgirl.  That is the last century just gone, obviously...  I really like this old-fashioned look, my favourite here... well, I am just an old-fashioned girl at heart...  Below right; with a floaty full-length skirt and flat strappy sandals, channelling the bohemian/hippy look straight from the seventies.
Today I'm sporting the prim and feminine schoolmarm look just above...  But which of these looks here is your look?

17 comments:

  1. All your combinations look good. Its a very useful jacket. My favourite would be the last, hippy one and the sailor one. They dont look at all work oriented! My secret dream one would be the motorbike outfit with the Harley too of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELLOOOOO!!!!
    The last one if my fave! The skirt is gorgeous (did you make?) and I love how it looks with the structured jacket.
    I went into the city on the weekend and made it to Tessuti, Cleggs and RetroStar. ( I got two dresses from there)... and I got to go without the kids! YAY. :)

    www.modelmumma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, that is one great and versatile blazer. And with your amazing outfit making skills, the blazer becomes even more useful.

    I have a hard time figuring out which outfit is my favorite, so I will be boring and say the blazer itself is my personal favorite, because it looks so good in so many ways! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone is having fun! That is a great blazer and, you're right, will be a workhorse in the wardrobe. I am feeling I need to make one too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like all your looks with the navy blazer - on you. I always worry about overworking any one piece of my wardrobe, so I tend not to try all possible combinations with any one item.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For petite me, the coral dress and blazer combo is the best in terms of balance. I would style it with a chunky necklace OR some dangley earrings, and flat boots or wedges. I love the last look and would also do that for a summer look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blazer, my favourite looks are the biker chick and grunge ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of the looks on you. My fav is the boho/hippy. There's just something about a maxi skirt.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been toying with a navy jacket for a while, never finding the 'right' fabric, but I think silk is it!!
    I'm #1 or #4, but want to be #2 as well! I'm trying to include more nautical looks for my wardrobe this summer.
    You're rocking all those looks - I bet you had fun dressing up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love these posts. Blazers are so awesome ... I always gravitate towards that part of the store first when thrifting :) I love classic tailored lines so I like #4 the best, probably, esp. with the pop of color ... I'd love to try the blazer with shorts (and colored tights! and boots!) sometimes, but it is a bit out of my comfort zone ... I love romance and whimsy too so I like #5. #1, #2, and #6 look great too but those are not looks I feel comfortable pulling off ... I love how you got 6 completely different things out of this ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. #4 is likely closest to my look. I notice though in my glimpses at the runway(s) that a short fitted jacket with a voluminous full skirt may be in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm definitely the striped tshirt sailor. In fact I'm wearing a very similar self made tshirt today. I also see myself in the blazer and long skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If your fantastic handmade wardrobe were mine, my look would be the last one. I love long skirts and this look is so flirty and feminine. Not to mention you look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are always my favorite posts. My picks are the jacket with the floor length skirt and the jacket with the above the knee dress. I feel inspired to do the same. I'm going shopping in my closet to see what I can put together. Thanks for the inspiration. You always give me great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Niiiiice! I love it with the red dress! (But then, I'm a sucker for red dresses...)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You truly possess a rare and talented gift for fashioning a superb outfit. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. #4 is likely closest to my look. I notice though in my glimpses at the runway(s) that a short fitted jacket with a voluminous full skirt may be in the near future.

    ReplyDelete