Monday, November 29, 2010

Green quilt

Sometimes I forget that I set out to document all my handmade stuff here.  Including the old stuff.
This is a quilt I made a few years ago.  The fabrics are all green based, and all "floral" in the sense they all are leafy, fruity, and/or vegetable-y  (I do like to make up words when I feel like it)  I collected fabrics over about six months until I had found enough to satisfy my criteria, in both the quantity and in the prints.  There was almost NO leftovers when I had finished, making the quilt "green" in a colloquial sense too...  That's the beauty of quilts based upon basic square shapes, you can plan them to be very economical with fabric.
The patch arrangement is based upon a Kaffe Fasset design from his quilt book.  The edges are hand bound with bias binding, made using two of the fabrics.  The top is all machine pieced, and I started hand-quilting the three layers together before I lost enthusiasm and finished the quilting on the machine.
Purists will shudder, but... meh.
It measures approximately 210cmx240cm (7ftx8ft)  perhaps a little smaller, but not by much.

7 comments:

  1. That is beautiful! Greens, blues and teal are my favorite colors so of course my heart jumped a bit when I saw your blog post. This was a welcome change in color from my winter landscape of white snow, yellowing grasses, gray clouds and blue skies. Thanks for sharing your work-it's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great colours and a simple yet effective design - a great heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this. Simple square quilts are my favourite. I have been using mine for about a year now and every morning I still wake up and am delighted by my beautiful quilt. I hope that your quilt brings you as much joy as mine does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, fun. I like the mix of different patterns. and as far as hand-quilting, I say, bring on the machine quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a lovely quilt. Is it in use? I own just one quilt, made by my grandmother. It features bright, appliqued flowers and I'm half afraid to use it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very impressed with this quilt u put a lot of work into it and it paid off :) i looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the prints and the colors!
    Hand stitching or
    machine stitching ~ either way this is a big job ~ very impressive :)

    ReplyDelete