Thursday, October 7, 2010

Trench Skirt; a pattern review

This is my pattern review, and some close-ups of the trench skirt I completed recently; seen below and a larger view here.
The skirt is pattern 107, from BurdaStyle magazine 8/2009.


Pattern Description:
Knee-length flared skirt that fits smoothly over hips and waist, creating a slim line.  The horn buttons and buckle, welt pockets, self-fabric belt with large carriers, and the double button rows are reminiscent of trenchcoat styling.
Pattern Sizing:
34-42, I cut a 36
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you had finished it?
yes
Were the instructions easy to follow?
yes
What did you particularly like or dislike about this pattern?
I love this pattern, and its trench styling.  Love the way it looks like I had taken a trench coat and just chopped the top off...  Because of this styling I think the top ends up a little bunched around the waist, which is just how a trench coat is supposed to look when it is belted, but I'm not sure whether the slight bulkiness that this adds to the hip area is flattering (or not!).  Despite the pattern description; in my opinion this skirt does not create a slim-line, in fact I think the sizing runs a touch big.  But I love this skirt and am definitely going to be in it a lot.
Fabric used:
Sturdy cotton drill
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I made the pockets a bit deeper and wider as the pocket pattern piece looked laughably small (I guess I have big hands!).  I finished the raw edges on the inside with Hong Kong seaming.  The front skirt facing fell short of facing behind all the buttons/buttonholes so I used scraps to sew behind and stabilise the buttons and buttonholes which the facing did not back.
The pattern came with a belt piece, which I did sew up, but actually I prefer to use with this skirt a leather belt I already had; looks more professional.  In my experience self-fabric belts, no matter how sturdily interfaced, do not look so wonderful after half an hour of wear, or even less...
Would you sew it again?  Would you recommend it to others?
I might sew this again.  It is a very handsome skirt with nice details, right on trend for the military look and the current fashion for trench coats.
Conclusion:
Love it!

14 comments:

  1. I love your shot of the bound seams. This skirt is definitely for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your attention to detail. This is such a classy skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd never heard of a "trench skirt" before but, now that I've seen yours, it makes sense. It looks like the bottom half of a trench coat.

    Very very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that is so neat! I especially like your interior with the pink binding :) A really striking skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really neat idea (why can't I think of things like this?!" I'm with you on the fabric belts, not worth it in my opinion. The finishing on the inside is fantastic. I love it when a garment looks as nice inside as out ...and I love the detailing with the pockets and the double row of button. this is "cool"!!

    Wow, a toddler, and a newborn, by yourself for six months...(I feel like I barely survived newborn, even with my husband there!) I remind myself that two weeks is not that long in the scheme of things - some of my friends have lived through 15 month deployments of their military husbands ... with a houseful of children. And goose is almost 5 so I feel like we can do alot of things together. It really has been a sweet time for he and I to do alot together, and if we do decide to send him to school next year, I want to savor this year.

    Oh, for some time to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the skirt is very flattering on you, and I love the trenchcoat styling! The inside looks amazing as well. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carolyn, This is a great intro to the idea of trench skirts! Perhaps you should do a sew along???? Your work is so professional.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your skirt is so sharp! Love the cute pink bias tape on the inside, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Hong Kong seams are beautiful. And the pink really contrasts well with the military style.
    This is a great skirt. Dressed up or down. Really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that inside. I think I love that side of the skirt just as much as the outside :-) And you know I think you look great in this skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a lovely look on you! And wow, beautifully finished insides!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO cute! Perfect for warmer weather! I'm sure you'll be able to make alot of outfits w/ this skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I am glad you have detailed this outfit, I thought it looked great in your Melbourne shot. Very classy, beautifully made and suits you to a tee. I am using Mums account as it is easier.
    love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  14. Héhé, I recognize this skirt ;-))
    yours is beautiful !

    ReplyDelete