Sunday, October 31, 2010

Three Grim Reapers

OK, we don't really observe Halloween here in Australia.  Trick-or-treating, definitely not.  But sometimes there is the odd party happening at this time that adopts a Halloween-y theme and thus provides an excuse for people to dress up in weird outfits.  So, a few years ago my eldest son and two of his friends went to such a party and decided they wanted to be Grim Reapers.  Hehe, checked out the dates on these photos, and wow, it was four years ago.  Four years ago!  Man!
I made their costumes (don't get the wrong idea, I don't make a habit of this sort of largesse...) using 4m each of black cotton fabric, and they fashioned the scythes themselves from my husband's bamboo aikido poles with cardboard blades covered with aluminium foil..
I thought they looked pretty good, no?  Tim is on the far left...! lol. How can I tell?  Well, a mother just knows, yeah.

8 comments:

  1. Ha--in the thumbnail of this on Google Reader, I thought these were burqas! The outfits DID turn out well...and I like the wristwatches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny! And, yes, the Grim Reaper must keep to his schedule. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! This is great. :)

    I was thinking halloween was a pretty american thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great!
    No trick-or-treating? at all? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad they're not im my neighbourhood - and I'm glad we don't do trick or treating - freaks me out! Cool costumes - your son looks the best!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! And you guys should single-handedly initiate trick-or-treating in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trick or treating has hit Sydney!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gail- we got some here too!! We didn't even answer the door, bah humbug and all that, but I confess it creeps me out too, like Handmade above. I would never have allowed my children to go doorknocking, begging for food, which is basically what it is... and am nervous about what the "trick" means too...

    ReplyDelete