Monday, October 18, 2010

Chain and tassel necklace; a tutorial

As soon as I saw it I loved this chain and tassel accessory made by the enormously creative and beautiful Maegan, who in turn was inspired by a Blugirl original, and I wanted to have a go at making my own...  Maegan made hers as a lariat, which would be a much more versatile accessory; but I made mine as a fixed necklace. This is because I knew in my lifestyle a lariat would probably end up either tripping me up, strangling me, or slipping off entirely without my noticing...
so I bought 2 packs of 1m (40 inches) of gold chain and two black upholstery tassels, medium size.  I already had some 10mm jump rings and a necklace hook and loop.  If you are at all into making your own accessories like this it is very handy to also have some pliers and a wire cutter small enough to work with these little fiddly bits.
The chains I bought conveniently had jumps rings attached to each end already, so I just used one of these to join them together to make one long 2m (80inches) chain.
Arrange the chain to your satisfaction.  I went with three loops around the neck and left the ends hanging down in uneven lengths.
At the back of the neck, find the three links that are as close to centre back as possible and string a bit of scrap yarn through them all. Tie this in a loose knot.
Laying the chain down on a flat surface, cut through these three centre back links using wire cutters.
Loop the two jump rings through all three chains, and add the hook and loop closure.
Prise open the last ring on each chain end and thread onto it the top loop of the tassel, close the ring securely.
Use a wool needle to pull the top loop of the tassel back through the "top-knot" and out into the middle of the fringe-y bits, to hide it inside.
It can be worn with the ends hanging down loose or loosely tied up which is less swing-ey and sway-ey when you walk about as briskly as I do.  But I think I like it hanging loose better.  What do you think?


Details:
Top; Tempt
Shorts; Burda 7723, with slight modifications
Beaded thongs (flipflops); some little shop in South Africa

14 comments:

  1. I like your necklace, with loops that will always look good, much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey cute! I like it tied up best. Where do you buy your necklace bits?

    www.modelmumma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the last shot with it tied over itself too. Great thinking to make it "fixed", I love the idea of the versatility but it would annoy me when it shifted about :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of this necklace. I think you could put all sorts of interesting things on the ends of the chains. The tassels look good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankyou! Jacinta, all the components were bought in Spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute good idea. Looks really good with those shoes

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I like it both ways, just depends on what you are wearing it with. Thanks for showing us how!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh cool! who thinks up all these great ideas...?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like it hanging loose the best. I am not one for necklaces and such, but I do like dangling chains with interesting things attached.

    Good job. Great teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in LOVE with that necklace. The whole outfit actually. Great job!
    And you're from Perth!? I'm going there for Christmas and again in January for 2 or 3 weeks. Then again possibly for school next year. (Curtin University:) My dad has a lot of business over there so he's living there right now. But how cool you're from there! And how perfect too, maybe you can answer some questions I have. :) Like the weather in January, how warm do your summers get? And the flies, are they really as bad as i've heard? That's all I can think of at the moment but I'm sure I'll be back with more. :)

    ReplyDelete