Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Bathers, 2010

I'm feeling veeeeery brave, putting a picture of myself up here, in my bathers!  Last year I was way too shy to do this.  Please note I've modestly veiled my face,  so no one can recognise me... (lol)
So I've made this year's bathers for myself, the first project from the fabrics I bought in Melbourne from the Fabric store, on Brunswick Street.  If you can you read the printing in the selvedge of the fabric, below, you can see it reads "Zimmerman".  Well, this is quite a classy Australian swimwear brand and I was pretty chuffed to see end-of-roll bolts of their fabrics stacked up at the back of The Fabric Store.  I haven't seen the Zimmerman range for this season yet, but I am curious to see what they've made out of this very fabric!  I made a tankini, altering the one swimwear pattern I have to do this.  I just drafted the body skirt part and added it on to the bottom of the bikini top at front, and redrafted the back piece accordingly.     I had initially cut these body pieces quite long because they are self-drafted and I always allow myself plenty of extra fabric in case of problems; and at first I was planning for the ivory waistband of the bottoms to be on view when I was wearing them.  But then decided I like the look of the top long and pulled down over the bottoms; so this feature is now hidden.  I cut up an old bra to use for cups inside the bodice.
I didn't set out to make the bathers "retro" in appearance (a word I'm getting a bit bored with in the sewing world, but not as bad as "vintage") but they have turned out quite... old-fashioned.  There.  "Old-fashioned" is a less overused and therefore much more preferable term.  I'm going with old-fashioned...
And, just because everybody loves a photo blooper I've included one below for your amusement, taken accidentally while I was setting up.


Details:
Bathers; McCalls 2772, with some modifications, navy blue with ivory polka-dot swimwear fabric
Hat; Country Road


26 comments:

  1. Great job. I need to sew some new bathers, but there is no way I'll appear in them in blogland. You on the other hand have model proportions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice........ Actually, at first I thought it was a one piece bathing suit with some kind of skirt-like front (like mine, some months ago), but I can see the practical advantages of having two separate pieces.
    I really like the retro look of it (I'm not quite that tired of the word yet. 'vintage' is as overused in the Netherlands as it is anywhere else, but excessive use of the word 'retro' is something I only encounter in blogland)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if you don't like it: it IS Vintage ;)
    And it looks very nice...

    Great work done,
    Liese

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your old fashioned bather, and I love how you've posed. All of your poses are sooo creative. I'm taking notes. Great fabric, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Trudy. I just love your pose and location for this shot. I also admire how fashionable this modest suit is. You can't go wrong with mini-dots like this in a navy and white print. Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these bathers and the photo. So flattering. I have always thought that one piece are more flattering that bikinis they hide a multitude of faults.(Not that you have that problem yet)The fabric is gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally gorgeous! I love them - great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really, really nice bathers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW WOW! Does your hubby know you're up on blogland like this??!! teeheehee. You look so great and the bathers are just awesome. Meanwhile can you please send some warm weather over here? I'm lacking some vitamin D.
    MODELmumma
    PS. thanks for the info! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these "old-fashioned" bathers. I have this pattern, but you have made a much better job of it than I ever did. I just couldn't fill out this style! Isn't it fabulous to make your own swimmers, and out of designer fabric too...you would pay literally hundreds of dollars for these in a swim store.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! LOVE the suit and the pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are gorgeous! And I love the old fashioned look :) You certainly have good timing with the weather we are having lately.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just discovered your blog and i´m really amazed! this exactly one of these bathing suits I´ve ever wanted to have! amazing shot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, it's a two piece! How fun. You are amazing to tackle swimwear.

    I don't think it is old fashioned. I think it is modest, functional, and just a tad appropriately "sexy", you know?

    And I'm recalling your post where you said your legs were pasty white, but noooooo ... not at all. No glare from my computer! So can you walk from your home and swim in that lovely water behind you?

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look incredible, Carolyn! I'm jealous of your ninja level bathing suit sewing skills. I've tried making the same suit THREE times and finally gave up. For now. I'll try again someday when I'm not quite so bitter.

    But you look amazing in that suit! I had no idea it was a two-piece! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Waouuuh ! georgous ! i love love it !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whoa, this turned out great! I'd love to order one from you--as I can't really find one that is flattering to me at my age.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, you look great in this you brave lady! What a fabulous suit. Nice job!

    "Bathers" - I love that - is it a popular Oz term? I've never heard it before!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love, love the bathers and the kinda of '40's pose with the hat. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic!! It looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful, and the scenery is to die for.

    Hugs

    Eilane - Brazil
    www.eilanevidacostura.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic carolyn in all ways.I love the style. Luck was sure on your side finding the perfect fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love, love, love, love that suit! It is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete