Friday, September 17, 2010

Domestic diva

The Maternity dress.  Oh, sorry, not aiming to mislead, I'm NOT expecting.  This is just the name I mentally gave to this dress ever since its debut out of the home atelier.  This final form here is quite a bit slimmer in line than its original incarnation, but it's still a distinct "possible" to go to nine months with triplets in this dress...
Ok, ok, I am exaggerating...  I made this dress inspired by the Duro dress that was making a few waves on the fashion scene at the time, touted as being the dress shape that suited everybody... well not this body unfortunately.  After finishing it and staring aghast at my reflection in the mirror (and being told by the whole family that I did, indeed, look pregnant) I embarked on some frantic alteration; top-stitching the body pleats in order to streamline this thing... or people will have been asking me "when's the happy time?" and I have been down that path and have retired gracefully from that particular stage of life, thanks...  after reducing about a third of the volume around the waist I was quite happy with the dress and wore it a lot last summer, so all is well that ends well, no?  The big, pleated patch pockets on the front are my favourite feature of the dress.  As well, it is a fabulous garment for hot weather; breezy, light and very comfortable, and I do feel pretty and feminine in it.  Just don't want to look so feminine as to tip over into fecund...
The socks are handknitted by me, also.


Details:
Dress; Simplicity 3745, white dotted swiss voile and crocheted lace trim
Socks; handknitted by me, Noro Kureyon sock yarn
Shoes; Francesco Morichetti, from Zomp shoes

8 comments:

  1. You do look very pretty and feminine. And you have succeeded in not looking like you are wearing a maternity dress. The pockets are a nice feature.

    I'll be talking about you on my blog tomorrow; so stop in.

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks perfect for summer and I love the details.

    www.modelmumma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very 'domestic diva' picture, in a good way. I know what you mean about the Duro dresses. I think they had that reputation because they looked good on body shapes which don't look good in most other dress shapes. But of course there's no such thing as a dress for all shapes and, in my opinion, the deep V-neck and empire line made this one a nightmare for slender, small busted ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The crocheted lace trim is really pretty - nice cool dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a perfect summer dress. I love that it's white, with the lace trims and the pockets. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this dress, the crocheted lace trim is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful dress and I think you did a great job altering it to make it slimming. I love the idea of a Domestic Diva. What a great theme!

    Donna @ Comin' Home

    PS. I left a long comment on Sept. 10. I didn't realize that I wasn't at your most recent post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I'm laughing out loud at your story. The final incarnation is indeed flattering and lovely, a cool breezy spring and summer dress. And I'm remembering hanging out my laundry when we lived in north texas, the goose was six or so months old and I would sit him in the laundry basket with some cloths to play with, and I would hang his diapers in the sun (as well as all of Kevin's work shirts, - and one evening he had to go tape a segment to be on the telly news, and I noticed the clothespins had left quite noticeable divets in the shoulders....! we watched the segments with interest that night and they were not obvious, thank goodness. Then I noticed all his shirts were getting faded as the sun is quite harsh, so I just hung the diapers and towels after that... ) but I digress. Sweet memories of hanging laundry - but certainly not attired as beautifully as you ...

    ReplyDelete