Thursday, September 16, 2010

Colour me Carpark

I've made a new top... and the colour is some sort of colour not really grey but not really brown, but something in between.  Brey?  Gr-own? Or just a darker version of my new favourite neutral; greige...  (later edit, duh, taupe!!)  I went into town today and it struck me my new top was the colour of carparks.  The colour of dirty cement and sooty steel piping.  That makes it sound awful, but really I find the colours, shapes and textures found in industrial and manmade environments can be just as artistically inspiring as natural ones...
The pattern I used is Butterick 4985, except with the sleeves from another pattern, as I prefer these "ordinary" sleeves to the rather frilly fancy ones supplied with the pattern.  I've used this pattern many times before...  The fabric is pre-gathered or shirred in an unevenly spaced wavy pattern on chiffon, which itself is printed with tiny paper-crane like motifs in ink blue.  It was only when cutting-out time came around that I noticed that the black shirred lines did not meet up nicely in a pattern repeat at all; all up and down unevenly, making pattern matching an absolute impossibility... I just had to give up on the idea of matching up those radiowaves!!  With the shirring it wasn't terrifically easy to sew either, so I'm happy with how it turned out.  I just barely had enough fabric to cut out the blouse, so for the collar used some of the leftover lace from Cassie's latest balldress (see here).  After sewing the sleeve hems by hand, I decided the edges looked unfinished, so I top-stitched some black lace braid along the edge.  I chose these little mis-shapen grey swirly buttons to finish it. 
The skirt; actually I'm not feeling this skirt anymore.  Remember when patched and shabby skirts with bits n' bobs hanging off them were fashionable? well this skirt hails from that time.  It no longer excites me, I'm into a more tailored and simple pared back look in skirts at the mo.  But I decided to just utilise it for Self-Stitched September, and it does go quite nicely with the top, I think!  I used Vogue 7303 to make a lining (which is blue), then just patched together bits of black lace (see here) to make an over-skirt shape and sewed over the joining seams with black lace edging.


Details:
Top; Butterick 4985 with other sleeves, shirred printed chiffon with lace collar
Skirt; partly Vogue 7303, partly my own design, black lace and black lace edging strips
Shoes; Micam by Joanne Mercer, from Hobbs
Necklace; my husband's very first gift to me! for my 21st birthday (not telling the year, so don't ask!)
Bag; Gucci
Sunnies; RayBan


showing the lace collar, but check out the reflection in the sunglasses, lol!!

14 comments:

  1. Gorgeous top. I really like the shirring, it makes it look a bit vintage, I think. And romantic. But because of the colour it's still modern at the same time. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The texture on your top is amazing - and the mix of other elements goes really well. I like the skirt pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah the shirring and patterns make it look a bit vintage.. in a good way of course. I like it!
    Geez, those carparks are a nightmare, even with a small car.
    BTW, what year was it when you turned 21? ;) hehe

    www.modelmumma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. GORGEOUS blouse! I love the lace collar :) psst I think taupe would be a grey/brown color - does that sound right?? lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colour might be nondescript but the fabric certainly isn't. Beautiful blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is the pattern you suggested for me! I'm glad to see it made up by a "real person". - it is lovely! What an interesting fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a super gorgeous top. Love the collar and all of the texture.

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful blouse. I love the texture with the lace collar. It really is one of the nicest pieces in your wardrobe I have seen!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, no, no. You are not allowed to retire that skirt because it is too fabulous with that top. That top... wow. Love love love. Too many loves to list. :) The fabric is wonderful, the fit/design, perfect. And with that amazing skirt, it is SO perfect.

    And I love the garage photoshoot - you are having far too much fun with your clothing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a unique and eye-catching look. I love your top and the skirt could not look more perfect with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How is it that you can look glamorous crossing a car park? The blouse looks fabulous, and I agree with Shams, perfect with the skirt. I love the textures in this outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I love that shirt. What amazing fabric! It looks like you did a decent job matching the waves across the front, at least, even if it couldn't be done perfectly. And it looks gorgeous with the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The fabrics are amazing and they compliment each other which makes this outfit stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the top fabric! And the skirt complements it very well.

    ReplyDelete