Saturday, August 28, 2010

Rusty cords

I've made myself some new jeans, but (warning, lack of elegance alert) they're not very exciting.  They are corduroy, and I do love corduroy jeans.  They are so warm and comfy during winter.  But I'm first to admit corduroy is a very casual fabric and sadly not considered in the same class as denim jeans.  These are my equivalent of trackydacks.  The purpose of my new jeans is just for casual warmth, for when I'm on my bike or the beach, or if on a cold evening I just want to slip something warm on to curl up on the couch and drink tea and knit in front of the TV, so don't peer too close or expect any chic fabulousness here...hehe.
My two old pairs have really got too old and a little threadbare and mis-shapen through use this last winter so I needed another pair.  I used Burda 7863 again, but added a few extra details: namely a zip placket and a little coin pocket that are features present in most ready-to-wear-jeans, but absent from this pattern.  The legs have been flared out a little more from knee to ankle to get more of a boot-cut than a skinny silhouette.  I also eliminated the pocket flaps and added a kinda nice zig-zag decorative feature on the back pockets.  What do you think of this design?  (oh, and do you know how hard it is to take a picture of your own butt?!)
I also fine-tuned the fit a little better.  This is the third pair of jeans I've made from this pattern and the fit is sooo dependent on the stretch of fabric... really the fitting process needs to be worked through all over again with each new pair.


Details:
Jeans; Burda 7863, rust corduroy
Top; Metalicus
Boots; Mina Martini, from Marie-Claire shoes



13 comments:

  1. A very nice casual look, though. It's nice just to be comfortable some days.

    That was a good point you made on my blog, to add the fabric content. I always forget, too.

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the cords. Your decision on the color was spot on. The pocket details are nice too. I'll bet you get a lot of wear out of these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. Gives me great ideas for the cord fabric sitting in my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! the color is lovely too.I can envision alot of curling up happening. I'm not brave enough to tackle pants yet. one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cords are definitely so much warmer than jeans. Yours look great!! Would love to sew my own pants... I'm jealous! :)

    www.modelmumma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great color and details. How long does it take you to make a pair of cords or some jeans? Is it more intensive than, say, a pair of slacks?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these cords, Carolyn. The cut and the great color. It looks like you found an uncut corduroy? Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! I wish I could make stuff like this! All I can make are dresses that just manage to not fall apart :P x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool pants! Good job!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice pants, love color too. I want to make a cord shorts in some shade of brown color for myself for this autumn, but can't find the wright fabric for it.

    ReplyDelete