Well, I've reduced my refashioning bag by one half of an item; being that the pockets of this new jacket used up one leg of Sam's old khaki corduroy pants that had holes in the knees... so I'm gettin' somewhere, if not very fast!! I also managed to use up some stash fabric, which I've decided I don't like very much... Bit of a story behind this fabric; well, I've had a failure. I don't like to dwell on failures, but I'll just mention it briefly then move quickly and smoothly right along and it will be in the past, never to be referred to again. Right? Right.
Well, I had downloaded a free Alexander McQueen jacket pattern at some point, the link is here; if anyone wishes to torture themselves with nightmare-ishly difficult patterns then feel free to go for it... I think I missed out on some key page of the instructions, because after two attempts with lots of unpicking I still had something looking like this...
Hideous, no? Well, we live and learn... I might still have another go at this pattern, using fabric that is not patterned, not so loosely woven and not a wee bit stretchy, all three qualities contributing to a very bad jacket-making experience.
So instead I stitched up the below very simple jacket pattern of my own design. I don't love this jacket. I think it will be OK for casual warmth when I'm walking the dog, maybe I will come to love it more with use. Its problematic genesis has prejudiced me against it, poor thing.
I basically copied the pocket design off a designer jacket I saw in Vogue magazine (although my pockets are not as ginormous, and the purpose of mine is to cover up seams of patched together fabric), but I don't know who the original designer is, if anyone recognises it and can tell me I will gladly acknowledge the source...
Jacket; pattern drafted by me, pockets from Sam's old childhood pants
Jeans; Country Road (these are going in the refashioning bag too, soon)
Top; Country Road
Shoes; Lute, from Betts and Betts