Monday, July 19, 2010

Grey wool coat for Spring

I made myself a coat for spring, using McCalls 5525, view B and grey wool fabric, bought back in March on a whim.  So, it took some cutting magic to get this coat out of the small amount of wool I had bought because there really wasn't enough for this pattern!  When I realised this and went back to the store to get some more it had all been sold and I needed to buy a small amount of a different grey wool fabric which I used for the under collar and front facings, you can probably see on the close-up pictures the different fabric on the under/in-side of the coat but I think it's not so different as to stand out in an ugly way.  Actually I think it worked out to be a blessing in disguise, because the second fabric is a much stiffer and thicker felted wool than the outer woven wool fabric, so I decided there was no need to interface, and I think it was the right decision not to do so.  The weight of the two wool layers together feels quite thick and stiff enough...
I lined it with a purply-pink cotton poplin, which makes the weight of the coat perfect for Perth's sometimes chilly but sometimes warm spring weather.  I'm looking forward to wearing it more!


Details:
Coat; McCalls 5525 view B, grey wool flannel
Skirt; my own design, charcoal stretch jersey knit
Shoes; Misano, from Labels


Pattern description
Semi-fitted, lined, double-breasted jacket and coat have collar, lengths and sleeve variations, princess seams and side front pockets.  Here I made view B with back vent, sleeves with button bands, topstitch trim and button closure
Pattern sizing
8-16, I made size 10
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you had finished sewing it?
yes
Were the instructions easy to follow?
very easy
What did you particularly like or dislike about this pattern?
I loved everything about this pattern!  I like that it is fully lined, not half lined as some coat patterns are; the inset pockets are in a good position on the front, and the one-piece sleeves are an easy feature
Fabric used:
Woven grey wool for the outer, purple/pink cotton poplin for the lining.  Thicker felted wool fabric for the under collar and facings (because I didn't have enough of the outer fabric)
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I made the pockets slightly larger as I thought the ones in the pattern looked too small for comfort
Would you sew it again?  Would you recommend it to others?
I highly recommend this pattern, the variations mean you can achieve so many looks from this one pattern and I do plan to try some of the others
Conclusion:
This is such a stylish and versatile coat pattern.  The pattern is well designed; it went together very easily, all the pieces fitting together as they should with no difficulty.  The one piece sleeves make this a breeze to sew.  I made view B, and I particularly love the flattering asymmetrical collar, very "designer" and slightly retro.  I think this view would work beautifully in heavy satin for an evening coat.  I also particularly like the button bands on the sleeves of this view.  I hand-tacked these bands to the sleeve seams to lessen the risk of them "rotating" around the sleeve during wear.



20 comments:

  1. It is beautifully done. You can't tell that you've used a different fabric from the photos. I style suits you so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to see this made up. The style and color are flattering. I just picked up this pattern to make a lightweight coat too. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super Stylish! I'm working my way up to making this one so it's great to hear it goes together well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful coat! I'm always confused by the seasons down under. A spring coat?! But yes, of course, it will be spring in your parts soon. Spring is still so far away for us up here. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Cute! very stylish indeed. I couldn't tell the difference in the fabric though the photos. I would have never known had you not told us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful! I love grey clothing, there's something rich about it in my mind. I hope you enjoy spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your coat is so adorable.

    I've been coming to your site everyday, but had to rush off before I could comment. I thought you looked so cute in your husband's sweater. And I love the colors in the birthday. It's really gorgeous. You never disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your coat is gorgeous and it suits you perfectly.
    I love this style and bought the pattern for the sleeves you made. It's nice to see it made it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carolyn! This is stunning .. wow. I must make myself a coat sometime. I wish you prolific seamstresses would do a blog post sometime on how you manage to find time to create so much ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous, you've done such a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very beuatiful, and you look so elegant but still youthful in it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your coat is so beautiful! I cannot wait to improve in my sewing skills, so that I can start making such a coat, or other more advanced garments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've popped over from Wardrobe Refashion. I LOVE this coat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is really gorgeous. I'm so envious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job. I love the collar, it's cute as. :)

    www.modelmumma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! This is great! Imagine if you were to go out and buy this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am in love with this coat. Seriously, I would buy this! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh! I hope mine come out as beautiful!!It looks grey in wool! Did you have to alter the pattern? I just bought the fabric for it a bit stretchy cotton satin.Black. I´m wondering about the size I should make. With Burda I make 38-40. Should I cut 10 or 12 from this one? I haven´t got the time for muslins. Would you recoment interfacing it completly? I´m very unsure about this one. Help!

    ReplyDelete