Friday, June 25, 2010

Pattern Magic; page 50

I skipped ahead a few patterns to get to this jumper because I totally wanted to wear it this winter!!
This is of course drafted from Pattern Magic. by Nakamichi Tomoko.
This is an amazing top pattern for two reasons; firstly it is cut completely in one piece, and secondly the pattern is drawn all wonky and skewiff, which creates this amazingly interesting twist in the body of the top when you are wearing it.  I love it!
I made two versions of this top, the first is pictured on Bessie below, made out of quite thin mauve-y grey jersey.  This was made up exactly to the pattern and while I don't have big arms by any means these sleeves are skin-tight on me.  This isn't going to stop me from wearing it as the weather warms up around here, but just a warning note to others wanting to make up this top...
The second version, that I am wearing today, is out of a lovely thick warm charcoal marle knit.  I widened the sleeves by about 1.5cm and they are much more comfortable...  Because the fabric is a little thicker the twists don't show up as dramatically on the body of the top, but with the weather as cold as it is in Perth right now that extra fabric thickness is very welcome!  I think it might have been about 3C this morning when I was taking these photos here, brrrr!


Details:
Top; from Pattern Magic, by Nakamichi Tomoko, charcoal knit
Jeans; Soon
Boots; Mina Martini, from Marie Claire shoes



11 comments:

  1. Wow, this is such a cool top! This book is really incredible, and I'm so impressed that you were able to make something from it. It's really intimidating to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your top is so amazing. I was going to say that it was a cool top, but then I saw that A Sewn Wardrobe said that. Oh drat. Love it.

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! LOVE it! I love my Pattern Magic books, but haven't made anything from them just yet. (Some of the designs are definitely not for daily wear!) Your top is so casual cool.:-)
    xoxox
    Carly
    www.chic-steals.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This top was my reason for purchasing Pattern Magic (a while ago now) and I have yet to make it. So lovely to see yours ... it looks great and you may just have inspired me to get started on mine! Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting and unique top. I like it! Looks great with jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You keep knockin' em out of the park, lady! I LOVE that shirt – it's the reason I got "PM" from our library. Trouble is I couldn't make out the pattern markings/directions and I got frustrated by the whole process. Maybe I gave up too fast…

    So in short, I'm jealous and you look fabulous!! That would be gorgeous in the blue you like so well, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your tops! They look fantastic x

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm, the twist is a genius way to accentuate the figure, and it looks really lovely on you. That's funny about the arms being to tight - I've never encountered that problem either. Your book sounds like such a fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a really cool top! It's making me want to try pattern magic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, this is truly a unique and awesome top. It looks wonderful on you.

    I will answer the 8 questions as soon as all our graduation activities are done :) Between work and these activities it has been a very busy time, but I am enjoying it lots :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Carolyn,

    I drafted this and went to cut it out on a 60" wide piece of jersey but can not get the pattern to fit! I am trying to follow the dictated grain line (which runs straight up the center front). How did you cut yours out?

    Regards,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete