Sunday, June 27, 2010

Cute patchwork skirt for a little girl

It is my youngest niece's birthday tomorrow and I wanted to make her a frivolous and girly little skirt because she is luckily still little enough to love pretty dress-up clothes.  A dress I had made her for a previous birthday could well be the most appreciated present I've ever made anyone, as she wore it lots and lots.  It was a hot pink satin princess dress, with a sweetheart neckline, puffy glitter sleeves and a glittery tulle bustle and I was thrilled she was so happy with it.
For this skirt I bought this row of pretty patches joined together.  The idea for this skirt came from the very creative Sophie who owns and operates Materialize.  She had made some adorable patchwork tutus for very little girls and had joined this strip together like this when I bought it.
Now I'm making a skirt here not a tutu, and obviously the skirt was going to be way too short with just these pieces so what was necessary here? of course a petticoat!  So I bought some broderie anglaise and a little bit of broderie edging and cut to the suitable length; gathered the patched strip to fit on top.  I did it this way because I wanted the overskirt to be gathered in an apron-like fashion over a straighter petticoat...  At this point I had also removed some of the patches, partly  because I realised the strip was going to be too long and partly because I didn't like some of the fabrics so much.  Then I attached the broderie anglaise edging strip to the bottom edge...
I also got some of this adorable lime striped bias binding to use for the tie waistband, and attached it to the top edge.  The petticoat, being a rectangle, required only a little gathering to fit my niece's waist measurement.  Using some leftover lilac cotton I made some more bias binding to line the waistband.
The lilac bias binding was sewn to the lime stripe bias binding, leaving the skirt top open to enable turning right sides out.  Here in this photo  the waistband has been sewn together and one tie end has been turned out and pressed.
The waistband opening was slipstitched closed on the inside, and the waist ties topstitched on the right side out.  Finally the centre back of the skirt was sewn closed, leaving enough of an opening for my niece to step into the skirt.  I finished the open edges of the centre back with narrow hems.

Et voila!  This skirt would be a good way to use up scraps of leftover fabric that's too pretty to throw out, or if you've ever been lured into buying a set of gorgeously co-ordinated fat quarters. 


2 comments:

  1. It's darling. You're a good aunt.

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea! I bet she will love it. I love the opportunity to sew for little girls, it is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete