Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pattern Magic; page 11

The latest in the Pattern Magic toiles; this one is on page 11.  There is a minuscule chance I will wear this toile.   Maybe it is a bit young for me; much as I detest that phrase "age appropriate dressing" that is so stifling to feminine flair and creativity in apparel.  I can't bear that women should be forced into a pigeon-hole by their age group... however that being said I'm not sure this top would do for me.  Perhaps I should re-phrase that; not too "young" for me, but too ... flirty and girly.  Too cute.  I'm too tall for cute.  As it happens my daughter has already asked if she can have it, so it will not go wasted...
I'm just loving the challenge of Pattern Magic, by Nakamichi Tomoko.  However I've realised, through a few recent remarks and conversations with others, that it is a book for advanced seamstresses.  A beginner would struggle.   Even more so if you have no Japanese...
Up until now I've gone steadily through the book in order but for my next project I've decided to skip ahead a few as there is a top that I really want for my winter wardrobe... soon!

6 comments:

  1. Hah, it's funny: I've always thought that I'm too short for "cute"! Cuteness overload.
    It might be that it's not about our length but rather our state of mind. Cuteness is not for all (fair skin + reddish hair may be cute by itself, ah, we're too cute for cute, hehe).
    My goal this year is to find something with flowers on it that I can actually wear withuout feeling like a lolita...
    The toile looks great, lucky your daugher wants it.
    Talking to an Aussie, I'll probably meet up with my australian little sister (host-sister for a year), whom I haven't met since 1992, in London this weekend. Big thing, can't wait! I'm quite nervous actually...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As another tall, fair, redhead,(with a few unfortunate extra pounds,) I know what you mean about cute. I end up feeling like Bette Davis in the movie 'Sweet Baby Jane'. Anyhow, your top turned out great. It will look lovely on your daughter.It would make a cute (there's that word!)dress if it was a little longer, or had a little longer underskirt added. You never fail to amaze me with your sewing skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! That is so gorgeous. What a compliment that your daughter wants to wear what you make.

    I know what you mean about age appropriate dressing and being tall. I am 5'7", a little tall anyway. I have found that I don't look good in all the things that I used to look good on me when I was younger. Oh well. I am trying to look as nice as I can with my age without trying to look too old. It takes a little thinking through. But I get help from my daughters. They are my fashion advisors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is gorgeous. I can see it maxi-length.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carolyn, I'm giving you an award! All you have to do is pop over to my blog and pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Just stumbled across your blog...you are so very talented! It is just amazing that you can take an idea, pluck it out of your head and create a lovely garment just the way you like it :)

    ReplyDelete