Sunday, May 30, 2010

Dining room curtains

Sewing curtains is a real drag.  No seamstress will say otherwise.  Boring, all straight seams, no challenge in it.  And mundane.
Most of the curtains I've made have been plain rectangles with curtaining tape sewn on at the top, which then just hangs there in an unobtrusive way.  I like plain curtains.
But for these dining room curtains I did something a little more interesting; I picked up the two bottom corners and the centre of the bottom together, inserted a big safety pin through all these layers, and pinned the whole lot to the central curtain ring.  That's on each curtain, btw...  Just for something a bit different.  Oh, also, there is no curtaining tape sewn to the top of the curtains, but the hooks are sewn directly onto the top hem of the curtains.  Again for something a bit different.
The little pussycat figurine standing on the window sill was hand-carved by my grandfather.  Often there is a real pussycat there too.

8 comments:

  1. Wow!!!
    They look amazing!
    I want to make some curtains for my bedroom as my blinds are broken and are driving me insane. I have no creativity whatsoever when it comes to curtains and I'm scared I'll make something really boring and old lady. I can't do your idea as I need darkness in my bedroom. Do you have any good dark curtain ideas??

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so pretty and romantic. I like the way it looks with your chandelier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great curtains! You are very creative, it's lovely to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cat figurine looks just like one I have, only bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just beautiful! Congratulations on your inspired notion that led to such an elegant look. What a wonderful keepsake to have -a lovely kitty figurine carved by your dad. Makes the whole picture something really special. Kitties in the window, wooden and otherwise are a delight :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely idea! You are so right, curtains and drapery can be so boring! You have certainly given your window some excitement! Isn't it wonderful to have keepsakes from our grandparents? I love the kitty. Your granddad was very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They do look amazing! That is a wonderful idea.

    I am off today to buy fabric to make dining room/patio door and kitchen curtains. I also do not like making curtains, but once they are done I'm happy I made them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiul curtains. They look very elegant and as Miss Prickly says perfect with the chandlier Hope you can do a larger picture of V1087.ingsm

    ReplyDelete