Sunday, May 16, 2010

Cosy brown cardigan

Wintery weather is well and truly upon us today (glum face).  We even got a little wet on our beach walk here today.  Just a light misty shower thank goodness…  eau de “wet dog” is not my favourite fragrance to have around in the house and car…
Traditionally as the weather turns cold and stormy and wild my thoughts start to turn to knitting and I get more excited about getting out the old knitting needles and hunting through the available wool and yarn stores.  I’m not there yet, still daydreaming about my current sewing projects for now, but it won’t be long before I’ll be curling up in front of the TV of an evening with the rain and wind battering on the windows and with a knitting project in my lap.
As well as the usual socks, which are always in the process of construction (ooh, haven’t shown you any of my socks yet!) this year I plan to make an infinity scarf, a few of which I’ve seen on the net, and a slouch beanie/beret or two.
This is a cardigan I knitted last year.  I bought 7 balls and just made it up as I went along.  It’s a very cosy cardigan and colourwise I just love the tiny flecks of gold and burgundy mixed in with the rough brown/grey marle.  My favourite part of this cardigan is the button on the front, handmade by Dad.  He sliced a bough of birch tree (grown in Mum and Dad’s own garden), drilled two tiny holes in it, and hand polished it to produce this perfect button.  Isn’t it the most beautiful button ever?  Dad is an extremely talented craftsman, and his handmade items are always hotly sought after prezzies at Christmas time…

Details:
Cardigan; my own design, Jo Sharp Silk Road DK Tweed in Brindle 
Jeans; Development
T-shirt; Country Road
Sneakers; Lute, from Betts and Betts

9 comments:

  1. I always loved the wooden button-up knitted jumper especially when winter approaches :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lusted after your summer while we were so deep into winter. Now it's reversed - still amazes me! Your sweater is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm, I'm loving the winter stuff too! Did you knit it in pieces and then seam it together? And the wood button is fabulous. I'm enjoying your cardis with the one simple closure. Ooooh, the refashioning ideas!

    And I'm chuckling about "eau de wet dog" ... I drove a car for a long time that leaked whenever it rained, and the passenger side foot place would fill up with several inches of water until my dad drilled a drain hole for me- but the carpets still gave me that odor. Oh, I can't wait to get back to creating again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is a beautiful cardigan. I love hearing about and seeing pictures of the weather in Australia. It's just starting to get warm where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cardi, love the pants. What a comfy looking outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cardigan does look cosy and perfect for cooler weather. I so like the look of a white t-shirt under a sweater, and the button is beautiful, a priceless detail.
    Does your father have an outlet that he sells these from?

    I have to say I wouldn't like
    "eau de wet dog" either, but it does have a catchy name :))))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou for your sweet comments!
    No, Ann, my Dad doesn't sell his creations but just makes them for (and gives them away to) family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah too bad ;) you are very lucky to have these wonderful gifts made by him :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that cardigan - nice shape and color. And whole outfit is very beaitiful, looks very fresh and cozy.

    ReplyDelete