Sunday, April 25, 2010

Anzac Day

Today is Anzac Day, the day we commemorate soldiers fallen for our country.  The acronym ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corp, and originates from the days of the first World War when Australia and New Zealand were part of British territory and our soldiers were then British soldiers.  Anzacs were sent in to some of the toughest and most gruelling battles, if you haven't seen the movie Gallipoli then I recommend it as a good little history lesson (Mel Gibson in an early role, and incidentally my uncle is in the movie in a small speaking part)
In the first World War, wives and mothers of the Anzacs baked these biscuits, known for their keeping qualities and sent them off to the soldiers overseas, thus the name.  I found an interesting fact on the internet, Anzac biscuits is a term protected legally, and it is illegal to sell them using the word "cookies", so there you go.  Interesting bit of trivia there for you...  


Now, I am the world's worst cook.  However these yummy little biscuits are so easy to bake that even I can't stuff them up so I thought I'd share a recipe with you for today.  Anzac bikkie recipes are everywhere and you can find a zillion slight variations, this is the one I use.  Be assured that recipes on this blog will be few and far in between, as cooking is not my thing, but today is kinda special...


Anzac Biscuits
125g butter
2 tblsp golden syrup
3/4 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup plain flour
3/4 cup dessicated coconut
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp bicarb of soda
if needed, approx 2 tblps boiling water
If you're a one bowl wonder like me, melt your butter first.  Stir in golden syrup.  Add all the other ingredients and mix together.  Water can be added as an extra binder if the mixture is still a bit dry.
Drop spoonsful onto a baking tray.
Bake at 160C (325F) for about 12 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack.


Sit back and as you nibble remember the Anzacs, or any soldier who has served for their country.


This little doily was hand-embroidered with Australian native flowers by either my grandmother or my great aunt... both of them very talented handcrafters.

9 comments:

  1. Oooo thanks for your advice. Will check out those collections at once!

    mmm Anzac biscuits are delicious. Especially when dipped in tea (even though Mrs Bucket would think that unseemly)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, cookies! Sorry, I was picturing you know, something like dinner rolls. Cookies sound way better. And these look yummy.

    Enjoy celebrating your veterans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "one-bowl wonder", LOL! I had heard of Anzac biscuits, but had no idea what they were for/from. So thanks for the history lesson! Might have to try these with my little guy. Easy to make dairy free too. :)

    The doily is lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look very good! Hope you are having a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Confessing that I am a foodie and just had to look up and learn about golden syrup, I love this post.

    And I learned about Anzac day.

    This holiday is similar to Memorial Day in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Anzac day is like our Remembrance Day here in Canada, celebrated on November 11th. (11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day

    I will try these cookies, they look delicious, thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sweet post... I'm going to try the recipe... once I convert it to US-type measurements! love the doily and mug... could you share with me the maker of the mug... I'm lovin' it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathie - thanks! 125g is 4oz, or one stick of butter in the US. The rest is the same. It's a very forgiving recipe.
    And the china cup is "Sea Island" from Dunoon, fine bone china made in England

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carolyn - the "Sea Island" pattern must be long out of production... can't find it anywhere. Thanks for the tips on converting from metric for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete