Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Anatomy of a ball dress, pt 5

Have I made any progress on this ballgown?  Yes heaps, although to the casual observer it wouldn't seem like much.
First, the draping of the fashion fabric across the corset bodice.  This took me a loooooooong time to get a look that satisfied me.  It took me all of the Monday public holiday.  I wouldn't be exaggerating when I tell you that that my experimental drapes ran into the double figures.  Seriously.
Finally I settled for this fairly simple version.  It's possible in a project when one is aiming for "glamourous" to get too complex and extreme and sometimes the simplest of designs will be the most effective after all... (it's already been sewn on and the lining too, because I was so relieved to have finally found a draping I was happy with I just sewed the thing without taking any "during" photos.)
After this, I needed a few days away from my precious project to work up enthusiasm again, and got back to it today....!
Here the lining has been undersewn:
Now for the corset bits.  I'm using a leftover scrap of very strong cotton, because eyelets and lacing can be tough on delicate fabrics.  I sewed a couple of, er there's probably a proper name for these little bits... and it's unknown to me...  facings? ... flaps?
Inserted some eyelets:
Sewed the corset bodice and its boned interfacing to the skirt top (looks messy here but ... trust me)
And sewed the corset flaps with multiple rows of stitching (for strength) to the measured fitting line on my corset bodice,  then finished the machine sewing to fit in the corset bits.
Now tonight I'm going to finish hand-sewing the corset lining to the waistline, and the skirt lining to the zipper tape...
More in a coupla days...

5 comments:

  1. Oooh, it's so exciting seeing your dress come together. I'm sure it's going to look stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see this lovely work of art you are creating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely quality from the inside out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love watching your dress come together x

    ReplyDelete