Sunday, March 28, 2010

Felted wall hanging

Another felted thing.  I made this last year some time.  This is hanging on the wall in our front room, to be admired by visitors (hehe).  I really enjoyed the process of making this because by this time I had worked out how forgiving felting is and that you really can't mistreat it; as long as you're working with colours you love you really can't go wrong here.
I envisaged this to be a sort of textile visual document in no language, a sort of crafted poem; a felted "page" with embroidered strokes and/or marks and dashes making a "text" on its surface.  I like how the the progression of colours turned out in the felted background and intended the vertical stitches of the embroidery as a kind of visual progression of colours and form in themselves... They bring to mind the tally of days that long-term prisoners scratch out on their cell walls; or the painted wall markings that are sometimes found in pre-historic caves, the homes of primitive people.  This could be a document from an undiscovered isolated culture, made by a people who use fabrics for their record making, and a language of strokes with colours, height and spacing forming an alphabet.
I sewed a bit of thick-ish wire across the top at back to stiffen it so it wouldn't collapse when hanging, and it's hanging from fishing wire which is almost invisible so the piece seems to be floating against the wall.  The size of this is roughly 52cmx28cm  (20.5in x 11in)



2 comments:

  1. hehe you have reminded me to put up the rest of my felting photos from uni!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see all your possibilities being true :) I would go with "..made by a people who use fabrics for their record making, and a language of strokes with colours, height and spacing forming an alphabet".....You have such a creative/imagination talent.....this piece looks beautiful and I imagine it would be a great conversation piece with your visitors/friends :)

    Thank you so very much for the sunshine award. It made my day and I will post it shortly :)

    ReplyDelete