Monday, February 22, 2010

Gunmetal blue trousers, 6 different ways

I thought it was time for another 6-way profile of an item of clothing in my wardrobe.  These are fun for me to do, shopping in my wardrobe and stretching my imagination, blasting away any preconceived ideas I've got about how to wear a certain garment.  This time I've chosen to showcase my gunmetal blue linen trousers, from Burda 7944.  Of course there is only one way to wear trousers, you can only vary the tops you're wearing with it.  However linen is such a great fibre, cool and airy enough for summer, and these pants are loose enough that I can envisage wearing thermals underneath when the weather gets colder.  So I think I'll be able to stretch them out into my winter wardrobe also.
Burda 7944 is a great menswear inspired shape, something like the look Katharine Hepburn originally pioneered in the 40's.  It does use a lot of fabric, because the legs are so wide, and require extra length for the cuff at the bottom, but it results in such a great look.  I've always loved the menswear look on women, and I've even borrowed my husband's linen shirt I made him for one of these looks!
For today I've styled it first for a casual look, for both summer and winter:


And for a slightly more dressy look, say if one is going to meet friends in town for an outing, summer and winter:


And finally a little more formal, for an evening do, both for summer and for winter:

8 comments:

  1. wow i never saw you making these and just thought you had bought them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great post. I love seeing the different wardrobe combinations you come up with. They all look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - great post. It inspires me to shake up my closet. Thanks.

    Thanks also for the comment you left about photography. VERY helpful. It was too dark out when I did this morning's posting however, tomorrow I'll post a picture of our background. I think you'll be surprised at what it looks like where I live.

    - Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn, I just did my second What I'm Wearing post, and have linked to you to as an example of what to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that the TRENCH COAT you've been talking about????? Amazing.

    Love the trousers. Gorgeous look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog! I'm so glad I found it. I also love the blogs you have as your favorites. Thanks for sharing and thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the wide cut on the legs. Funny I saw a woman in Sydney wearing similar cut pants and I thought how elegant they looked as she walked. Can't see you walking, but the still shots are a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this pants on you. I like how you style them as well.

    ReplyDelete