Sunday, February 21, 2010

Eco-friendly gift wrapping

This isn't a new idea, but is one I'm adopting from now on.


Recycle old cereal boxes into gift bags, by covering them with newspaper.  So easy, and quite attractive, as long as you use nice-looking pages.  I recommend you avoid ones with items dealing with tragedy and disaster...  nobody want to look at their gift and be confronted with "Con man fleeces pensioners for millions" or an expose of a corrupt local policeman...etc   
The above one, with car sales, would be good for a boy( er, apart from the flower, well I was just trying to pretty it up for the picture....)  The comics pages and crossword pages would be good to use for this idea. too  If you do have access to discarded foreign language newspapers, all the better as these add an exotic air to the gift box.
Gift wrap is so...extravagant, don't you think?  In terms of waste, as well as cost.  And most cereals come in a plastic bag within the box, so it's not as though the box is dirty when you've finished with it.
(Disclaimer; some "giftees" may find this a tacky concept.  Yeah, seems crazy, but some people may not appreciate the planet-saving motives behind this idea ....  You've been warned)

4 comments:

  1. Love the look of these and they are a fantastic idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea. I like to use the comics pages for wrapping paper. My mom has done that forever; she's way ahead of her time as far as being green.

    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving sweet comments. I love to visit yours and see what you've made. Always very pretty and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a wonderful idea. I love it. I had not heard of doing this before. Thank you so much for sharing it. I hate to waste money on gift wrap.

    I'm so sorry you've had trouble leaving comments on my blog lately. I don't know what the problem has been. I guess something with Blogger. I hope it's fixed by now. Please let me know if you have anymore problems. And thanks so much for persevering and trying again. It's always so nice hearing from you.

    I wish I could give you the scarf I made, but a little 6 year old girl at church begged me for it; so it now belongs to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use some special fluid in my eyes and for special scaleral lenses and buy the product by the case. Three bottles come in a medium size box which I save and decorate. Great size for socks, underwear, little nik-nacs, etc. Everybody, and I mean even the pets, gets Christmas and birthday presents in these boxes. The favorite line from all Christmas morning is, "Oh, some more eye stuff!" Tee, hee!

    ReplyDelete