Friday, January 22, 2010

Wardrobe Refashion, project 3

Not a terribly exciting re-fashion this week, but I'm still pretty happy with the result.  Before; an old work shirt of my husband's that he was tossing out.  Pro's; it's made of sturdy thick cotton knit with a lovely blue-marle denim-y colour that has a lived-in comfortable feel about it, and it has a nice button up front with attractive metallic-look buttons.  Problem areas, it was HUGE, it had a kind of daggy "sporty" collar and two too many logos.  I hate logos.  I don't really want to walk around looking like a billboard for somebody else's business, thankyou very much.
It may not look like a dramatic difference, but this shirt has been re-constructed completely, apart from the button up front which I kept untouched and the bottom hemline is also the original.  The collar was removed.  As the logos were embroidered onto the fabric they couldn't be unpicked without leaving an unholy mess behind (or should I say, a very hole-y mess!), so the sleeves were shortened, removing one logo, and I added a small self fabric pocket, covering up the other logo.  The shirt pieces were rejoined to become a much slimmer, more feminine shape.
I think the new streamlined look of the T-shirt is now quite attractive and will be a useful new resident in my wardrobe.
I made my skirt also, about four or five years ago and I posted about it previously here.


Details:
Shirt; refashioned from my husband's old work shirt
Skirt; my own design, various cottons and cheesecloths
Sandals; Vicenza, from Soletta shoes

11 comments:

  1. I just found you via Wardrobe Refashion...I think the shirt looks great. I also like the skirt. The colors are marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Did you use a pattern for the shirt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No! Just pinned it on myself (yes, ouch).... made sure sleeves and sides were identical, and sewed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look so adorable. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shirt looks great. Dare I say it looks better on you than Craig.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome refashion. hehe I'm currently refashioning my refashion that I have not photographed yet! I liked it the way it was but I can't find anything to wear with it. Hopefully I haven't cocked it up irreparably! Will be finished tomorrow, or sunday.

    hehe yes my new top is very "you". Because it's so transparent, I thought a dress to wear underneath might be quite chic... so I'm making a shift dress out of the gingham fabric that I bought online (I know I was intending to use it to make that 1950s tulip dress... but it goes so well with that top!). The shift dress is cool cool cool (in theory... I hope I can pull off the final version) it has really clever panels and darts, I think you'll appreciate it. Basically the whole outfit is very "you", actually! (It just needs some sort of cool layered wrap around skirt to maximise the Carolyn factor....)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This top looks incredible and it goes perfectly with your skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm new here too, found your site through a link. Thank you for sharing this way to eliminate the polo collar and hide a logo. My husband just moved a bunch of similar logo shirts from a former employer out of his closet. What do you do with these shirts? They're good-as-new. This is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing transformation. Looks Fantastic. The colour appears darker - is that photography lighting or did you dye the fabric as well?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't dye it, that's just the lighting!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very imaginative refashion, what a great result from a daggy old shirt

    ReplyDelete