Saturday, November 28, 2009
Dress with weird bodice...
I made this dress for last winter from Burda 7897 from a dark olive green bamboo/cotton mix fabric from Fabulous Fabrics. It was a pretty good basic dress that I wore a lot, but the bodice was a bit weird and I always ended up wearing a scarf or stole over it as I am for this picture. I'm not sure why it was such a flop; literally, as well as metaphorically. Maybe it was designed for a big-busted woman, but even if so the bodice wasn't too big for me, just sort of baggy and drape-y in an unattractive way, as you can see in the picture sans stole which I included for honesty's sake.
As for the rest of the dress; I liked the flippy nature of the skirt, and the length and simple style of the sleeves, the pattern for which I've used in several other dresses and blouses. I also decided that I wanted to line the whole dress with bemsilk for warmth, the provision for which wasn't in the pattern instructions. However I plowed ahead anyway, and eventually managed to get it together with a lining, this really improved its wearability in winter.
I may make this pattern up again, but I would modify the bodice drastically if I did. I'm not sure how, but I'll have to get to work on Bessie one day with some fabric scraps and sort something out. I think it would look a whole lot better if it was a bit more fitted up top.
Keep you posted...
I wore this to a casual cocktail party last night with my new shoes from Iceland which I am totally in love with. In fact I am planning most of my future autumn and winter wardrobe around colour schemes in honour of these shoes, that's how much I love them!
Stole; d/lux, from Calico and Ivy
Belt; emu leather, bought from Luxe
Shoes; KronKron, from Iceland, bought online