Thursday, November 26, 2009

Dad's birthday present

I've resolved to include in this blog more pictures of projects in the making; however my latest project had to be kept a secret as my Dad reads this blog!  I chose this coloured wool for a scarf for him because I think Dad is an Autumn like me, or more accurately I should say I am an Autumn like my Dad!  This lovely wool leapt out at me as soon as I laid eyes on it at Calico and Ivy and I knew it would be perfect to complement his wardrobe as I see him wearing dark brown or green jumpers a lot during winter.  Also my husband bought himself a scarf recently which he has been wearing a lot even in this hot weather, and I am quite liking the look of scarves on men just as a decorative accessory and not necessarily as a functional neck warmer.
I used three balls of Lang Mille Colori, made in Italy, colour 914, and 3mm needles (if you plan on making this, bear in mind that I knit quite tightly and a "normal" knitter will probably be using 4mm or 4.5 mm needles, check your tension if in doubt)
Cast on 24 stitches (incidentally the age Dad was when I was born!) and knit 1, purl 1 until end of row.
Next row; Purl 1, knit 1 until end of row.
Repeat these two rows until wool is finished.
Easy peasy!
This, of course, is moss stitch.  I debated over using moss stitch as I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it.  I love the look of it, but hate doing it.  All that wool forward, wool back; breaks up the easy flow of knitting and requires concentration.  However, scarves only really look any good if the back looks the same as the front, and I think garter stitch can look a little amateurish.  I wanted Dad's scarf to look smart, so moss stitch it was.
When it comes to knitting scarves where there is not really a defined front or back, the knots and joins can sometimes be a problem as you can't just hide them in at the back.  I usually just tie a really tight and tiny knot and then weave the ends in a best I can (see close-up picture).  If you can hide the very fluffy end bit inside a strand of wool in the knitting, so much the better.  I know this sounds nit-picking (or should I say knit-picking?!), but these little finishing touches can make a big difference between an obvious homemade job and a smart and beautiful piece of wearable art.
Many thanks to Dad for agreeing to pose for the blog!



1 comment:

  1. Sandi said Handsome photo of your Dad Carolyn. Scarf does suit him. Calico & Ivy such an inspiring shop and worth a visit by all crafty people. I must admit I did get a bit lost the other day. Got depressed by the news paper on the window at Glyde street location mosman but luckily after turning back towards stirling highway I realised they had relocated again but just across the road. The smile returned.

    ReplyDelete