Friday, October 23, 2009

Good hair day

Friday, 23rd October 2009

Had a sociable day today; met some friends this morning, went on a long walk along the beach later with another friend, and wound up the day with a hair appointment. Ah, isn't getting your hair done one of the most self-indulgent and luxurious events in one's life? I love sitting and flicking through the latest fashion magazines, getting a cup of tea, having my hair washed and head massaged, followed by the blow-dry that makes it look so much nicer than I can ever achieve myself at home! Such a treat...
Today's skirt is one I made last summer using Vogue 7880 view B, but without the silly hanging bits that are illustrated on the pattern cover. I've always left these off actually. I used a lovely burnout polyester chiffon in a wild kaleidoscope of yummy colours; chocolate, raspberry, lime, lemon, pistachio... Don't you love how colours are defined in terms of food nowadays? Makes you salivate just describing them; a sort of feast for the senses. Maybe that's the point. You don't hear a garment described as a brown top any more, its alway a chocolate top, or a coffee, mocha or toffee top (as appropriate).
Even though the fabric is chiffon and quite luxurious I've used it as a casual skirt from day 1, even bike-riding and beach-walking, like today! The skirt has many layers and bits hanging down all around which flutter and ripple in the breeze in a lovely feminine way. As the fabric is see-through I extended the front and back bemsilk lining so that it formed a self petticoat underneath, and just marked the original length as to where to attach the skirt bottom pieces to it.
This has been a great pattern, although I have to admit that the first time I used it I found it quite complicated and attached the lining pieces to the bottom skirt pieces inside out and had to unpick it all; its a pattern that you have to concentrate on and trust that it will all come together all right in the end - it does!
Other details:
Top; Metalicus
Camisole (under); Country Road
Sandals; Micam by Joanne Mercer, from Hobbs

1 comment:

  1. Your hair and outfit look lovely. I love the colour combination. What has happened to your dog. When will she have an outfit too?

    ReplyDelete